Monday, December 19, 2011

Charter Communications and Wireless Network help?

I am trying to set up a wireless network in my home. I have a Motorola Surfboard 5101 DSL Modem that Charter provided me when I began service, and I want to connect my new Netgear WGR614 (v7) so that I can have wireless internet in my house.





Although I have installed the router correctly, the internet light blinks and I am reduced to 'little or no connectivity'. I called Charter to see if my router and modem combo was incompatible. They said no, but instead told me that the type of service I pay for does not allow wireless. I have been told that I need to upgrade in order for me to set-up a wireless network.





Are these guys yanking my chain? Isn't internet just... the internet? Or can these types of companies keep me from setting up a wireless network with a click of a button?|||Its not that they can block the router, it is that they are suppling a internet connection to your computer and using your MAC address to verify a connection.





In your routers setup under networking you will see the option to change the default IP address and the Default MAC address. Leave the IP address alone and what you want to do is clone your computers MAC address in the router. This will make ATT think the router is your computer and then your internet sharing will work just fine.|||As long as your router is compatible, you should be able to use it. Charter will supply you access to the internet via the modem that has been provisioned to your account. Charter should only be charging you to go wireless if you are renting their router. Use of a customer owned router is free.





I would suggest checking your settings again and also try calling Charter once more to see if someone can walk you through the correct set up. You could also ask Charter to send a tech to help you troubleshoot your install, but there might be a service fee for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment