Saturday, December 24, 2011

Dell Laptop won't connect to Charter Communications internet. I have a Netgear router. Limited or no comm.?

I basically said everything in the title, but I will go into greater detail.


I have a Compaq desktop with a netgear router that connects to Charter. It works fine.





Up until yesterday, My laptop won't connect to the router. It says limited or no connectivity.


It started acting up when I tried to connect my nintendo DS to the same connection, but the DS wouldn't connect, so I just gave up.





But then, my laptop wouldn't connect, and it would say limited or no connectivity.





What do I do?|||Did you connect the DS to the LAN port on the router or to the WAN port? It sounds a little like the DS is actually connected to the cable modem instead of the router.





The modem should be connected to the WAN port on the router, and everything else connects to the LAN ports or via wireless to the router. The router will configure all of the other devices via DHCP.





"Limited or no connectivity" means the DHCP service on the router is not configuring the computer for some reason.





Turn EVERYTHING off.





Check that the connections are as above.





Turn on the modem and wait for its lights to stabilize. Give it 2 minutes or so.





Turn on the router and give it 2 minutes or so to stabilize.





Turn on the computer and try again.





Turn on the DS.





If that doesn't work, you may have to reset the router to its factory defaults. If you do that, be sure to set up your wireless security again.

No comments:

Post a Comment