Saturday, December 24, 2011

I signed a contract with Charter communications when I was 17 (in Texas). They tell me I owe them money, do I?

I was either 16 or 17 years old when I signed this contract, and it is now years later, and when I tried getting Charter service, I was told I owe them nearly 800 dollars. It turns out that my ex (who I was living with) kept the DVR unit, and since my name was on the contract/bill, I was footed with the bill. I was under 18, and as I understand, contracts are not legally binding. I did NOT use the service in any way after I turned 18, and in fact moved to another state after we broke up.





I also found out that this has damaged my credit a bit, and they technically did that illegally, seeing as how the contract was never valid to begin with. So, besides not having to pay them, could I also take legal action against Charter or the collection agency for damaging my credit/charging me off to a collection agency without my having ever entered into a legally binding contract? Also, I was not an emancipated minor, as I was still receiving money from my dad, and was listed as a dependent. I also was not even on the lease of the apartment, as I was too young when I moved in (aged 16) to sign anything with them. I only lived there for 6 months (16-17) before moving in with my grandparents. I've just turned 20 this month, but I moved back out on my own again, when I was 19.|||a contract with a minor is not legally binding if they new you were underage an pursed this matter you or your parents can bring a suit against charter but not the credit agency|||you have to take some of the blame for this you know.. you knew you signed the contract and you knew what it meant..





WHY did you not return the DVR when you broke up or left.?

No comments:

Post a Comment