Saturday, December 24, 2011

Is it legal for my carrier to sell my new number to telemarketers?

We just got a new phone provider (landline) through charter communications, and have within 48 hours been flooded with telemarketer calls, and they all have our name and other information. Is this legal? How can they get away with this?|||Get on the national do not call list. It is free.|||One thing you have to remember is that if you do not pay an additional fee every month to have your phone number unlisted, they can get your phone number out of the phone book. There are tons of websites that you can go to to get a list of all the phone numbers belonging to a specific area code.





You need to read the fine print of the contract with your phone carrier and make sure that it states that they do NOT do that. If it doesn't state in the contract that they don't sell your information then they may be doing that. I know that my carrier (Rogers in Ontario Canada) states in their contract that they do NOT sell your telephone number to 3rd party telemarketers and such.





One problem I had when I first got my phone number was that it was a recycled number. Meaning that it used to belong to someone else before me. I was getting phone calls at like 3 am froma cab company asking to pick someone up at a completely different address. I was so ticked that I called ROgers and had them change my phone number. Within a couple of days I was getting telemarketing calls. I then called Rogers and had them make my number unlisted and I only pay an additional $2 CDN for that on my monthly bill.





Call your carrier and ask them if your number is recycled or a completely new number.





If its not a recylced number and it not unlisted, they very well could be getting it from the phone book. I used to work in call center and thats where they get their info from.





Sorry to be the barer of bad news.





Good luck!|||https://www.donotcall.gov/


Sign up for that do not call list or just tell them to remove you from their lists and never call again. The only ones that can call you after being on that list are ones you have business with. Just because they have that doesn't mean the phone company gave it to them. Once your number is listed anyone can get it|||put your number on the do not call list





www.donotcall.gov/





it takes about a month then they are not supost to call you anymore





they use to bother me alot now they dont call anymore freedom|||yeah - it's in the agreement that you sign, ergo the phrase "small print"|||Yes- that's why you get on the no call list!|||i think it is


i think once youve joined with them and they have all your info they can do whatever they want with it since youre in a contract with them


its really stupid though

No comments:

Post a Comment